Tuesday, July 6, 2021

Album Review: Sour By Oliva Rodrigo

 


Have you fell into the Olivia Rodrigo hole yet? I have and can’t say I want to climb out any time soon. She’s achieved more in the last six months than I have in twenty-three years, but that’s okay because I have SOUR to listen to. 


Before taking the world by storm with her debut single ‘driver’s license’ Rodrigo was known for her starring role as Nini on the Disney+ series High School Musical: The Musical: The Series. After signing with Interscope and Geffen Records, she released ‘driver’s license’ in January 2021 and became an overnight sensation. Rodrigo’s following singles ‘déjà vu’ and ‘good 4 u’ were even more successful, all three completely taking over Tik Tok and every radio station. SOUR was released on May 21st with critical acclaim and fan hysteria, I’ve probably listened to it every day since. 

 

SOUR has stormed the charts being the first debut album in history to have two number one debuts in the charts. Ultimately it's about heartbreak, a chaotic collection of breakup songs some more playful and upbeat, others melancholy and vulnerable. Rodrigo has credited Taylor Swift and Lorde as being her main musical inspirations, her feelings are relatable and so is her music taste. If you're a twenty something like me you may have grown up listening to Swift, her album Fearless is the first I remember buying on CD. Personally, I find Rodrigo's writing style similar lacing her lyrics with specifics- her ex being 'with that blonde girl', reading self-help books, listening to Billy Joel. The shouty bridge in ‘déjà vu’ was inspired by Swift’s absolute banger ‘Cruel Summer’ and ‘1 step forward three steps back’ samples the soft piano ballad ‘New Years Day'. Although we can hear Rodrigo's musical inspirations in her music its still very much her own unique collection of melody and lyrics. 

 

Honestly, I’m absolutely obsessed with every track on the album. I’ve tried to pick a favourite, but it’s impossible so I’ve narrowed it down to my top five:


traitor 

1 step forward, 3 steps back 

déjà vu 

good 4 u 

enough for you 

 

I find myself listening to the album daily and playing some of these tracks once or twice- I don’t know what Rodrigo put in ‘good 4 u’ because it gives me so much serotonin! I think if SOUR is anything to go by she'll have an incredible career with lyrics and music that grow and evolve with her. 


What do you think of SOUR? Maybe you haven't listened to it yet or it's just not your thing, if so please do let me know what you're loving at the moment. 




12 comments:

  1. I literally haven’t stopped listening to this album since it came out! I love Jealousy, Jealousy the most but they’re all great songs x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it incredible! I actually do love jealously, jealousy- I can't get it out of my head at the moment. Thank you for commenting x

      Delete
  2. I love this album too! I think jealousy, jealousy and traitor would have to be my top two from the album - although I love all the songs! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't get jealousy, jealously out of my head! traitor has to be one of my favourites, I have it on repeat. Thank you for commenting! x

      Delete
  3. I love her album too!! She's such a talent, especially at her young age. Loved this review x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great isn't it, what's your favourite track? She is it'll be interesting to see how her music changes over the years. Thank you for your lovely comment x

      Delete
  4. well I'll have to give her a listen sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must be the only one that never jumped on the wagon, but after your review I must give this album a listen for sure x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty much a hard album to avoid isn't it? Ah I hope you enjoy! Thank you for your comment x

      Delete
  6. Ruth| Ruthiee loves GlamourJuly 8, 2021 at 9:41 AM

    This is the first time I am hearing about Olivia Rodrigo. I haven't listened to any of her songs as well. I'll have to check her out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm sure you'll love it! The album is incredible! Thank you for your comment x

      Delete

TEMPLATE CREATED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS