Thursday, January 21, 2021

My Goals For 2021

 



 

Happy 2021!


For me a new year means new goals, I’m already feeling motivated and hopeful that 2021 will be better for everyone. Although we’ve had a little setback (we’re in a nationwide lockdown here in England) I’m looking for the positives- staying home means I can focus on my writing, my final semester of university, and save some money after Christmas. 

 

I know New Year’s resolutions are popular with a lot of people, but they’ve never been the one for me. Personally, I prefer to set myself goals for the year as something I can envision, aspire to and work towards. I hope sharing my goals with you will be helpful or even inspire you when setting your own. 

 

Graduate university

 

I’m about to start my final semester of university which is both super exciting and scary. Honestly, I’m still in disbelief that this is it because it’s gone over so fast. Thankful to past me who chose to do coursework and exams over a dissertation, I don’t think I could hack it (especially with the lack of support for students and working from home) and I know that I’m lucky my university gives us an option. I always doubt myself, but I know that I can do it and can’t wait to start my new modules. 

 

Apply for a place on a masters course

 

For those of you who don’t know, I study film at university and adore it! In the future I would love to be able to write about film and talk about it on my own radio show. With the pandemic I wasn’t sure what my best option would be after graduating and then I stumbled on a course, in a university here in Liverpool, that sparked my interest. It’s in written and radio journalism with practical training too, I think it’s the one for me and would benefit me enormously. I’ll be starting the application process in March, so keep your fingers crossed for me.  

 

Focus on my writing

 

I published my first post of the year a few weeks ago which I’ll link here. A few months ago, I realised that I’d come to miss writing and wanted to start blogging again. I’m almost a month in and don’t regret it despite sometimes struggling to come up with content and finding a balance. In 2021 I’m making a conscious effort to be consistent and grow my following as best I can, let’s see what this year brings for The Direct Discussion. 

 

Start a podcast

 

I mentioned radio before and along the same lines as that I’d love to start my own podcast. It’s been in the works for a few months, I’ve got the subject and even planned out a first series, and now I need to bite the bullet and just go for it! 

 

Continue to exercise and eat healthy

 

After starting university again last September I was in a slump, I couldn’t concentrate and wasn’t paying attention. Then I decided to start power walking / running every morning, I get up around half seven and going out rain or shine. I can’t even begin to describe how much it helped me, I find it such a great way to start the day and boosts my mood so much. At the same time, I started making healthier choices when it came to food- I’ve switched to oat milk, reduced my meat intake, made a conscious effort to eat more fruit and veg, and drink two litres of water a day. A few months down the line I feel so much better for it and definitely want to continue this year.

 

Read (at least) one book a month

 

There’s nothing better than getting cosy with cup of tea and a good book is there? Reading has been a hobby of mine for as long as I can remember, but I never seem to make enough time for it. I’m on my second book of the year so I’m already off to a good start. Even if I read for thirty minutes a day to begin with then I’ve formed a habit. I’ve got several books that I’m desperate to read (which I’ll share with you soon) and they’re motivating me. I think to have read twelve books by the end of the year is totally achievable, let’s do it!

 

Pass my driving test

 

Now this one has been a goal for a hot minute! Where do I start? I don’t even want to know how many driving lessons I’ve had, but unfortunately, I can’t seem to pass a driving test. The pressure and anxiety eat me up every time. After my last driving test almost two years ago I couldn’t face it and my theory test ran out that same week. Although I’m dreading it, I want to pick everything up again because I know that I’ll regret it in the future if I don’t. Like anything I’m confident I can finally pass if I put my mind to it! Pandemic permitting let’s hope this is the year for me. 

 

 

There you have my goals for the coming year, I hope you enjoyed this post! I can’t wait to see what I accomplish and hope that sharing these has inspired you in some way. As I mentioned I have a lot of motivation and determination to make this year better than the last! Things are absolutely mental at the moment, but we’ve got to power through. 

 

What are your goals for 2021? Please do comment below and share because I’d absolutely love to hear what you’re aiming for!





16 comments:

  1. Such a great post, I love reading about goals and working towards them! Passing my driving test is also on my list for this year! Best of luck sweet x

    Zoe

    thesundayblogger.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Zoe! They really help with motivation don't they? I desperately want to pass my test- we can do this x

      Delete
  2. I loved seeing what you are aspiring and working towards in 2021 and it is so nice to see a healthy balance of lifestyle, personal, and writing related goals here! Best of luck with everything and may the words flow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh what a lovely comment! Thank you so much, I think goal setting is especially important this year with everything going on. Again thank you, such a kind comment x

      Delete
  3. Those are great goals and mist of all,achievable goals! Good luck

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, I'm hoping it'll be a successful year!

      Delete
  4. Great goals! I have focusing on writing on my list too, such a good skill to have. And all the best for your final year and your driving test, how exciting!

    Anika | chaptersofmay.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I most definitely want to work on my writing this year! Thank you for all your well wishes x

      Delete
  5. These are all great goals! It's so exciting to read about everyone's goals and the idea of a podcast sounds like great fun! I am focusing on writing too this year, hopefully managing to finish editing my novel. Hope you all the best for this year and you last semester at uni! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I love reading other people's goals for inspiration and motivation. I've always wanted to start a podcast so hoping that it'll come to fruition this year- oh amazing a novel, that's so exciting. Thank you so much x

      Delete
  6. Really loved all of your goals here - it's great that you've found a masters course that sparks your interest too! Starting a podcast is something I'm hoping to do in 2021 too. Good luck with all of your goals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh really? That's so exciting, I love a good podcast, I hope that happens for you! Thank you x

      Delete
  7. Great post! Thank you for sharing your goals, I think staying healthy is definitely one of mine :) I graduated last summer and I hope you manage to reach all your academic and personal goals this year x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, I think with everything going on you kind of have to focus on staying healthy- in lockdown I can so easily just eat my feelings! Thank you so much for your lovely comment x

      Delete
  8. These sound like great goals and I love the balance they will provide for you. Best wishes on much success!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are some fabulous goals! I hope you're able to pass your driving test, especially considering the restrictions in place. I'm trying to exercise more this year x

    ReplyDelete

TEMPLATE CREATED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS