Thursday, August 2, 2018

Album Review: Harry Styles By Harry Styles




On all social media I have bombarded my followers with Harry Styles. I am not ashamed to admit that I've adored One Direction from the get go, although the hiatus was a heartbreaking time for all us Directioners it meant one thing... solo projects. The inner turmoil as a fan was real, you want the boys back together but the temptation of seeing what they can create alone is too much.

Harry has forever been my favourite, from his very first audition up until now. Throughout 2016 he was absent from the media, going cold turkey after five years of seeing him everywhere was a hard time for us all. We only got a few pictures of Harry on set of Christopher Nolan's 'Dunkirk' set for release this coming July, now we know he was in Jamaica the rest of the time recording the album. 

As you can imagine, when tweets appear on my feed speculating a solo single from Harold himself, I was ecstatic. My boy was back. On 7th April, the single premiered on Nick Grimshaw's breakfast show. I'd sat patiently waiting all morning and then we heard it... a soft/pop rock, piano ballad with clear 70s influence and quite psychedelic in many ways. I cried a lot that morning, it was the first time I'd heard Harry speak, let alone sing, in over eighteen months. Of course following the single's debut we got promo, a blessing from the musical gods if you ask me. First came SNL, then Graham Norton and all these other performances/ appearances. The month of April became a dedication to Harry Styles. That wants enough for him, in May we were bombarded with more and more.

Let's picture it.

The clock has just struck midnight, it's 12th May. Little old Beck is lying in bed as happy as can be, finally listening to my most anticipated ten songs. Each one holds a special place in my heart, that night I listened to the album several times over. The week before I'd been lucky enough to get hold of tickets to see Harry on 1st November in Manchester and life couldn't have felt better. 

Before going a bit into depth. Disclaimer- I'm by no means a music critic, I simply take a lot of pleasure in this album and wanted to share my thoughts. Here we go.

1. Meet Me in the Hallway
An interesting album opener. A soft and slow pop ballad to ease us into the album. The song has a lot of twanging guitars yet still allows us to have a focus on Harry's voice and can, at some points, feel stripped back.

2. Sign of the Times
Every damn time I listen to this song I get chills. No matter what, I feel like this will always be above the rest, for me personally. It signified the change in Harry's music, for the first time we'd truly heard him & the direction he wanted to go. There's not much I can say, go look at all the rave reviews on this single. It's very Britpop, very Bowie. The choir used for backing adds such an emotive body to the melody & lyrics, I will forever be obsessed with this song.

3. Carolina
Such a fucking bop. This song is a bit naughty, 'Oh you feel so good' I mean we all know what Harry's been doing. You can't help but get in to Carolina, it's got a good old country feel to it, which I appreciate. All in all, it's a lot of fun.

4. Two Ghosts
There was an incredible fan speculation about this song, "the one about Taylor Swift" as Nick Grimshaw said. Whether it is or isn't, it's a wonderful song and I think very honest and open. It's about growing up and growing apart, trying to find yourself again after a relationship that didn't work out. Two Ghost's is performed on a slide guitar which makes it lean more towards a country sound, described as a country influenced folk rock ballad. I have to say, Two Ghost's is one of my top picks on the album and my god Harry's voice. 

5. Sweet Creature
The day this single was released I was in work, after my shift finished I ran home and played this on repeat for hours. I bloody love this song, the vivacious melody and stunning harmonies make me smile every time I listen. Similar to Two Ghost's it has some folk influences and you can definitely hear that in the song, some have compared it to a lullaby almost. Plus, it showcases Harry's ability to his some pretty beautiful notes.

6. Only Angel
This track is where the album gets a bit edgy. It goes from zero to hundred in like five seconds! Harry himself has described this song as 'perky', it starts off with an angelic sounding chorus and then goes into a mixture of drum & guitar. I think this would be the perfect choice for an opening tour song, just saying.

7. Kiwi
My most anticipated song by far. I was so intrigued as to why the title of the track was Kiwi, who writes a song about fruit? To be fair, if anyone could pull that off it would probably be Harry! This song is by far the raunchiest on the album, it's one of Harry's favourites. This is song is a lot of fun, please also remember that long haired Harry wrote this.

8. Ever Since New York
As soon as this debuted on SNL, I watched it everyday after. More folk influences are clear in Ever Since New York, it portrays a song sadness about a lost connection. Despite this, it is still a song you can't help but sing along too and again Harry's vocal range is astounding. 

9. Woman
HARRY'S VOICE OH MY LORD. This song is kind of a slow, sexy slow rock ballad. It was teased on snapchat before the album was released and sent us fans wild. Harry in this sounds so attractive. Sometimes it gives me some jazz vibes, I won't lie to you. I can't explain to you how much I adore this song, I can't wait for this on tour! Fun Fact: the 'uh' that people are saying sounds like a duck... that's actually Harry Styles.

10. From the Dining Table
I really have no words for this. It's extraordinary. Brining the album to a calm close, this song is sombre with incredible raw and honest lyrics. This is the one Harry says makes him feel the most, I'm not surprised, it's heartbreaking. Harry writes sad songs like no other.

Harry Styles you've taken me by surprise. You've surpassed all expectations, this album is an eclectic mix of genre and it emphasises how you've explored everything throughout the creative process. Harry says this album, this music, it's apart of him that's never been shared and this is very evident. It's as if some songs are from a completely different era which is nice, we can hear all the inspiration Harry has taken from classic eras and artists. Harry Styles is the album of my existence, I'll be listening to it forever more. This pink aesthetic is truly a bonus, as Harry said, it's the true colour of rock stars. 

1 comment:

  1. Sign of the times was my jam during 2017 when I was homeless

    ReplyDelete

TEMPLATE CREATED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS